CLAUDIA A. WEINSTEIN
Class of 1978 - Honored 2013
Oberlin College BA English 1982
1992 – Present, 60 Minutes -- CBS News’ highly respected and long-running weekly newsmagazine
2004 – Present, Story Editor, 60 Minutes
- Part of a senior management team that screens, vets, critiques, and oversees
- each story that airs on the broadcast. Focuses in particular on all issues to
- ensure fairness, balance, accuracy, and adherence to news standards.
- Oversees social media and is involved in 60 Minutes Overtime; 60 Minutes
- Sports; and in many aspects of the show’s online presence.
1999 - 2004, Story Editor, 60 Minutes II
- Part of the senior management team that launched this broadcast and
- brought this Sunday tradition to a midweek broadcast.
1992 -1999, Producer, 60 Minutes
- Worked with correspondent Steve Kroft on investigate reports, profiles, and
- a range of other 60 Minutes stories. Among many awards, the team won the
- Renner Award from the Association of Investigative Reporters and Editors,
- and the Gerald Loeb Awards for Distinguished Business and Financial
1984 – 1992, The American Lawyer and Court TV
- Worked with investigative reporter Steve Brill and the National Magazine
- Award-winning “American Lawyer” magazine in a variety of capacities,
- starting as fact-checker soon after college, then: associate editor, reporter,
- and senior editor. Later, helped launch Steve Brill’s Court TV network as a
- senior reporter.
1979 – 1984, Various print reporting jobs and internships
- Columbia Journalism Review (New York, NY); The Point Reyes Light (Pt.
- Reyes, CA); The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC); The Progressive
- (Madison, WI); The Island Ad-Vantages (Stonington, ME). Also, features and
- news editor at The Oberlin Review during college, and news director at the
- college station, WOBC-FM.
Additional Professional Accomplishments
Judge on various journalism and documentary juries and panels, including the News & Documentary Emmy Awards and the Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Award.